The Spawn Chunks 207: Do Mods Get Under Your Skin?
Jonny, and Joel share their latest big projects in Minecraft, answer listener email about end-game diamonds, discuss the laundry lists of mods vanilla players use, and the importance of your Minecraft skin.
Support The Spawn Chunks on Patreon
- The Citadel
- Started working on the Taiga Hill Mansion, which is a much larger build than more recent projects in Westhill, with a huge tower, castle like battlement, and massive roof to fill with details.
- The interior of the mansion is also getting special attention with detailed rafters, a mezzanine, and clever passageways.
- The Citadel – Taiga Hill Mansion – Part 1 (Twitch.tv/joelduggan)
- The Citadel – Taiga Hill Mansion – Part 2 (Twitch.tv/joelduggan)
- Empires, Season 2
- The Pirate Den, for Joey Graceffa
- Like all good pirate dens, it’s built inside a giant skull.
- The exterior skull was designed in creative and brought over to Empires with Litematica.
- The interior pirate den was a freestyle survival build with puzzle elements, target practice, and secret entrances.
- Emergent gameplay! Joey climbed some decorative cave vines to traverse around the den and get to some loot that was out or reach.
- The Pirate Den, for Joey Graceffa
- impulseSV will be joining Jonny, and Joel on The Spawn Chunks for Episode 208.
- YouTube.com/impulseSV (YouTube)
- YouTube.com/impulseSV2 (YouTube)
- Twitch.tv/impulseSV (Twitch)
- @impulseSV (Twitter)
- Episode 208 is slated to record August 29, 2022.
- impulseSV was last a guest on The Spawn Chunks 060, Perfecting Fun with ImpulseSV (Website)
SUBJECT: Updating Maps For Caves
Joel, and Jonny,
In The Cave & Cliffs Update I decided to make my base in a mountain. However, I’m not drawn to build a massive base in a cave since one of my favorite things to do in minecraft is to map my base, and see the progress. This isn’t possible with my cave base.
After watching Fwhip build Gobland on Empires, it got me thinking since that base is so cool, wouldn’t it be great if you could use the cartography table, and something sky related like the phantom membrane, to change your map and allow you to adjust the Y level visible on the map? Everything above that new Y level would become “the sky” and the map would show everything that a player placed below it! I can imagine people building underground bunker bases now displaying their base level by level.
What do you think?
Marc died walking off a cliff while being so focused watching his map changing with two hands!
DISCORD MEMBER: Ore Producer
SUBJECT: New Uses For Diamond In The End Times
Good afternoon Jonny, and Joel!
In a recent episode you had a discussion about a new use of diamonds in the late game, because they tend to have low value in single player, or servers without an economy like on Hermitcraft.
What if there was some sort of special workbench, where you could trade in Diamonds for a variety of design alternatives for certain items?
For example: Input Iron bars, and you get (matching to vanilla) variations in the smithing shape of the bars, or black variants for more darker use. It could be based on unlocking recipes, or you pay per stack crafted.
Or you could get a wand, with which you would use to click on already placed blocks in the world and it cycles through your available texture options. With no additional item versions. Unlocking options could be like achievements, that you can “learn” like in Skyrim, hidden in treasure chests. Or perhaps with Minecraft archeology in the future?
I was visiting the Cologne cathedral recently, and I dearly wished we had a way to build something that beautiful in Minecraft.
Love your podcast so much!
TheN00K1E starved to death because she couldn’t decide which texture matched best.
Join us on
With the growing number of Minecraft mods being run by “vanilla” survival players, Joel asks how many mods are too many with regards to bringing the performance of the base game to a palatable level for most players. Steve and Alex – the default player skins in Minecraft – are slated for a texture update, and Jonny wants to know how important custom Minecraft skins are to players.