The Spawn Chunks 177: Where To Place All Your Base
Jonny and Joel go over the bug fixes and details of the first Minecraft snapshot of 2022, bore through listener email about deepslate, and discuss how they choose where, and how to build their Minecraft “bases”.
Support The Spawn Chunks on Patreon
- All Of Fabric 5
- Progress has slowed with some required vanilla mining but with mods like Diggus Maximus and Vanilla Hammers.
- Removed some mods felt to be unbalanced, Bewitchment and Terrain Slimes.
- Exploring the block mod Chipped and the new work benches it requires as progression.
- The Citadel
- Explored the new 1.18 Mountains zone on The Citadel, with a huge, dripstone cave and a lush cave that’s nearly as big, all surrounding a pretty sweet cluster of mountain peaks and valleys.
- Began construction on the quarters for the captain of the guard, which faces the parade square and will adjust the design of the north curtain wall in Westhill.
- All Of Fabric 5
- Finally found a mountain, a desert, and a swamp, which weren’t exactly on the doorstep.
- Cactus from the desert was used to complete the automatic wool farm for all sixteen colours.
DISCORD MEMBER: Ore Producer
SUBJECT: A Boring Deepslate Alternative
Dear Joel and Pix,
I was recently listening to episode 174 when you discussed using a wither to obtain large amounts of deepslate and i think i have a suggestion that might work a little better, a tunnel bore.
Given that the blast resistance of stone and deepslate is 6 the tunnel bore would work just as well 64 layers down although you may encounter more large pools of liquid in 1.18. Ilmango has a great design that i have used for over a thousand blocks and I think docM has used the design in a Hermitcraft Season 7 episode.
I often use the tunnel bore to procrastinate on other things in Minecraft.
Will blew up due to a tunnel bore malfunction.
Crafty Red Dragon
Join us on
How We Choose Building Locations In Minecraft
Lots of players are looking for the “ideal” location to break ground on their new build ideas in Minecraft 1.18. What do we look for when choosing a location to build? How do we choose a build style or theme? What do we consider a Minecraft “base”?