The Spawn Chunks 170: Minecraft 1.18 Has Arrived
Joel and Jonny share their first impressions of The Caves & Cliffs Update, Part II as Minecraft 1.18 has changed the landscape for players everywhere, then answer listener email about different ways to approach the new terrain.
Support The Spawn Chunks on Patreon
- The Citadel is still in 1.17.1, as updating has proven difficult and time consuming.
- Checking off the final design boxes with more interior, road and riverside details along the main gate road in the medieval town of Westhill.
- The Citadel – South Gate Road – Part 11 (Twitch.tv/JoelDuggan)
- The Citadel – South Gate Road – Part 12 (Twitch.tv/JoelDuggan)
- Going back to playing Minecraft slowly on The Survival Guide, Season 2 has been an interesting challenge.
- Hardcore multiplayer on the Don’t Die December server has proven to be more fun than single player hardcore.
- Don’t Die December – Risk It For The Disc (Twitch.tv/Pixlriffs)
- Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 The Caves & Cliffs Update Part II Is Here (Minecraft.net)
- The Caves & Cliffs Update, Part II Trailer (Minecraft on YouTube)
SUBJECT: Where To Go And What To Do
Minecraft username: rock-giant
Hey Jonny and Joel!
Jumping into 1.18 terrain, I found myself with two competing struggles,
1) Trying to find a place to stop and build and
2) Finding inspiration for what I wanted to build when I did settle.
After brainstorming for a while, I came up with a solution that I thought was worth sharing. I loaded Chunkbase and started searching through random seeds until I found one with a really cool badlands biome, about 13,000 blocks from spawn. After checking it out in a creative world, I have begun the slow journey in survival making my way to the ‘promised land’ of sorts.
This solved both my problems by giving me a chance to actually travel through all the new terrain, without leaving me wondering if I will ever find a cool place to land. To further increase the nomad approach, I have installed a couple of data packs for bundles to help me collect more things on the way.
Hope this helps some people struggling to jump into 1.18 like I did at first.
Thanks for all the great stuff you guys do!
Rock-giant fell into a cave whilst trying to scale a cliff.
SUBJECT: Starting Afresh In Minecraft 1.18
Hi Joel and Jonny,
I have seen many Minecrafters like Wattles mention that it was recommended to start a new world when I updated Minecraft to 1.18. However, I had a very strong feeling not to start a new world as new cave biomes can generate under existing chunks and I have just defeated the ender dragon and gotten my long awaited elytra in my current world. It was also one of the very few worlds that had the eroded badlands biome really close to spawn.
I really didn’t want all these efforts to go to waste as I started a new world in1.18 . What do you think? Is it better to start new in 1.18? Will my existing chunks mess up with new terrain generation in minecraft 1.18? Hope to hear your thoughts and opinions.
ReasonedFlyer52 walked into the danger zone and died due to screaming goat.
SUBJECT: Getting Overwhelmed By 1.18
Hi Jonny and Joel,
I hope you both are doing well and enjoying The Caves & Cliffs Update, Part II.
Like most players, I made a new world in 1.18. I am a casual player who prefers making player sized builds, and I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed due to the massive size of the terrain now.
What are your thoughts about it? Do you feel the same?
Thanks for such a wonderful podcast !
Ace2000 fell on dripstone, because glow vines are not good for swinging.
Join us on
First Impressions Of The Caves & Cliffs Update, Part 2
Joel and Jonny share their first impressions of updating to, and playing in Minecraft 1.18, The Caves & Cliffs Update, Part II. World generation can be spectacular, slightly lack lustre, or in the case of updating existing worlds, down right frustrating. Bigger, fresher, and more dangerous, it seems time, patience, and a bit of luck is what’s really needed to explore to the massive changes to Minecraft.